Tuesday, April 29, 2014

New frames

Here's the result of the burr comb. Its expansion has been arrested by facing it towards another frame filled with comb. I suppose if I just harvest this one for honey the hive will should be able to winter over with their own honey reserves instead of being supplemented with sugar water. Still working on my beekeeping philosophy...


The foundationless frames have four evenly-spaced holes drilled in each of the side bars through which one continuous thin-gauge wire is strung four times between them.

Both this frame and the above are filling out nicely after having been in the hive only five days. They were placed between frames that already had comb containing either brood or honey. Recently, I've noticed the amount of pollen the bees are carrying have increased. I assume it's tsutsuji (rhododendron). It's really amazing to see have productive they have become. Can't wait until the next inspection.

No comments: